This article talks about how an Administrator can manage their email domains and user's mailbox hosted on our Linux Hosting services. If you are an end user, you can manage your own mailbox in Web Mail.
Our Linux Control Panel let you manage everything related to your hosting account. Read [[How to use Linux Control Panel]] for more information.
== Domain ==
* When SXL create your hosting account. Your email domain should also be created. Basically, you don't have to touch anything in this section.
* However, if you registered your own domain name from other registrar (not through SXL), and you have configured your DNS and MX record correctly, you may add your domain name here so that our mail server will handle it.
* Do not delete the email domain unless you really know what you are doing. Delete the email domain will also delete all mailboxes in the domain.
* We can setup a special **@yourcompany.local** domain. Users with an .local email address can only send/receive emails within your company, but not to outside world. This is a useful feature for management to control email communications.
* There is a one-time setup fee for setting up this feature. Please contract us.
== Domain Alias ==
* Domain Alias allow you to specify multiple domain names for each mailbox. This is also called Many-to-many Email Forward.
* In most cases, if a company have multiple domain name, (for example: domain.com, domain.hk and domain.us), it is convenient to alias these domain together so that each users can receive emails from all of the domains)
* **Source** : Specify the source (usually new) domain name. For example: domain.hk
* **Destination** : Specify the destination (usually existing, this is where the existing mailboxes are created under) domain name. For example: domain.com
* **Active** : Check Active and then click Save to activate the change.
* If you have more domain names, repeat the above steps but specify the new domain as the Source.
== Email Mailbox ==
* This is where you can add, change and delete user mailboxes. You can also change user's quota, anti-spam level, auto-responder and mail filter here.
* This is the most commonly used part of the Control Panel. Here you can add/change/delete user mailboxes, reset user password, change mailbox quotas, etc.
=== Mailbox Settings ===
* **Name** : Input the user's real name. It is here for your convenience only. Actually, user must set their real name in the email application they use (such as Outlook).
* **Email** : Input/change the email alias and choose the right domain (if you have multiple domains)
* **Password** : Input/change the password. Users could change their password in WebMail anyway, so you could use a common initial password for your company, and then teach users to change password by themselves.
* **Password strength**: We recommend you to choose a "Strong" password
* **Quota** : The maximum storage size of the mailbox.
* **Send copy to** : You can send a copy of every received email to another address. Just input a full email address (e.g. email@example.com) or leave it blank to disable it.
** __IMPORTANT: DO NOT forward to Yahoo or other free email providers__. They usually have strict junk filtering rule that if you forward multiple junk mail to them, they will block your whole domain name or even block our server.
* **Spamfilter** : Change the strength of the spam filter, normally you should choose "Normal"
* **Enable Receiving** : Enable or Disable the mailbox. If not enabled, every email sent to the mailbox will be bounce back with a message that the mailbox is disabled.
* **Disable IMAP** : IMAP is one of the 2 methods to access the mailbox by an email application. IMAP is slower and often result in user leaving a huge amount of emails on the server. However, it is convenience if you want to synchronize emails between multiple devices. You may disable IMAP if you do not want users to use this access method.
* **Disable POP3** : POP3 is one of the 2 methods to access the mailbox by an email applicatoin. POP3 is faster and is recommended. Anyway, you may disable this access method if you know what you are doing.
=== Autoresponder ===
* Here you can add an Auto Repsonder for the mailbox. It is useful if someone is resigned or is on vacation.
* Don't forget the check "Enable the autoresponder" for it to active.
=== Mail Filter ===
* Here you can add filter to the specific mailbox. If you want to add filter to your whole domain, please use Spamfilter Whitelist or Blacklist (discussed later).
* **Move Spam Emails to Junk directory** : This setting allow the mail server to move spam emails to the user's "Junk" folder. However, if the user use POP3 to access her mailbox, she will never see the Junk folder. She have to login to web mail (or use IMAP) to access the Junk folder.
** Emails in Junk folder and Deleted folder (on the server mailbox) will be deleted automatically after 7 days.
* **Add new Filter**
** **Name** : Input a name of the filter (for description purpose only).
** **Source** : Specify the condition for the filter, for example: From - Contains - spammerdomain.com
** **Action** : Choose "Move to" or "Delete".
** If you choose Move to, you have to specify the folder where you want the filtered message to be moved. Standard mailbox contains these folders: ##Drafts##, ##Sent##, ##Junk##, ##Trash##.
** If the user has created her own folder, it can also be specified in the Move to field.
== Email Alias ==
* Email Alias allow you to assign multiple email address to one mailbox. This is also called **Many-to-one** email forward.
* It is useful when you want to assign generic names to a mail box (for example firstname.lastname@example.org -> email@example.com). Or, when someone resigned, you may forward the old user's email address to the new user.
== Email Forward ==
* Email Forward allow to assign one email address to multiple users. This is also called **One-to-many** email forward.
* It is useful when you want to make a distribution list. For example, you could create an firstname.lastname@example.org to forward company announcement all users in the company.
* It is worth to note that, you should not put more then 50 destination addresses in each record. This is because many email servers will "think" you are sending spam when you send the same email to many users at once. In this case, you have to create multiple forwards (for example: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, ...) to satisfy your need.
== Email Catchall ==
* An Catchall is a mailbox that will catch all emails sent to non-existing mailbox. This is useful to avoid losing email due to mis-spell.
* We DO NOT recommend this feature because it will also catch huge amount of junk mails.
== Spamfilter ==
* The Spamfilter Whitelist let you white list an email address or domain, so that their messages wouldn't be rejected by our spam filtering system.
* The Spamfilter Blacklist is the reverse of the Whitelist, it let you block any email addresses (or domain) to your mailbox.
** **User** : Choose either the whole domain (@example.com) or for individual user
** **Email** : Input the email address (email@example.com) to white-list an email address, or input the domain (@example.com) to white-list the whole domain.
** **Priority** : If two there are two conflicting whitelist/blacklist, then the one with higher priority win. (Priority 10 is the highest, 1 is lowest).
== Fetchmail ==
* Fetchmail allow you to retrieve your emails from external mail server. It could be useful when you are migrating your mailbox from old ISP to SXL.
* Get Mail Settings:
** **Type** : Choose the type of the mail server
** **POP3/IMAP Server** : Input the server address of the mail server.
** **Username/Password** : Input the username and password for the mail server.
** **Delete emails after retrieval** : Specify whether or not to delete emails on the external mail server. However, if you choose not to delete, you will probably receive duplicated emails.
* The fetchmail is schedule to receive your external mail every 5 minutes. Do not forget to stop the fetchmail after you have migrated your mailbox, because it will greatly slow down your mailbox. __SXL may disable fetchmail for your account if we found you abuse this feature__.
== Statistics ==
=== Mailbox quota ===
* Here you will find the used space and quota of each mailbox. These information are useful when your account space are nearly full and you need to adjust each user's quota.
=== Mailbox traffic ===
* Since SXL offer unlimited transfer for all of our hosting plan, we have turned off this module to improve speed. The information shown here will always be 0MB.