This article talk about how an Administrator can manage web sites, ftp accounts and database on SXL Linux Hosting servers.
Linux Control Panel
Our Linux Control Panel let you manage everything related to your hosting account. Read How to use Linux Control Panel for more information.
This is where you can manage your web site.
- IPv4-Address : Do not change it. (Default is: *)
- IPv6-Address : Do not change it. This is reserved for future use. (Default is empty).
- Domain : Input your domain name. (example.com)
- Don’t input www. in the front.
- Harddisk Quota : Input the storage limited for your web site. (Example: 500MB).
- Most users only have the free 1GB storage space. Do not use them all, because you need some spaces for storing backups.
- Traffic Quota : Input -1 to make it unlimited. (Default is -1)
- Own Error-Documents : * This let you create your own error pages for http 4xx and 5xx errors. (Default is checked).
- By default, the system will provide a set of default error documents for your web site, you normally don’t need to do anything about it, just keep the box checked. Please read List of HTTP status codes for more information.
- Auto-Subdomain : The system will automatically add www. to your domain. So that, both example.com and www.example.com will open your web site. (Default is .www).
- PHP : If you web site do not use PHP programming language, change it to none will increase security. (Default is fast-cgi).
- PHP Version: Do not change anything here. (Default is blank).
- Active: If un-checked, your web site will be disabled. (Default is checked).
- Normally, you don’t need to change any settings here. However, if you want to create a web-address but redirect it to another site, do this:
- Redirect type: R,L
- Redirect Path: www.new-site.com/
(Don’t forget the “http://” prefix and tailing slash “/” in the redirect path).
- If you want to know more about the different redirect types, please read RewriteRule Directive.
- SEO Redirect : SEO means Search Engine Optimization. Please leave it blank unless you know what you are doing. (Default is empty).
- On this page, you can manage your SSL Certificate for your web site. Please contact us if you need SSL, we will help you to setup this page. But there are additional costs to purchase the SSL certificate and an dedicated IP address.
- SXL provide free web statistic reports to our customers. You can enable statistic for your web site by input a password on this page.
- The statistics is calculated every night.
- After you set a password and wait 1-2 days (until your web site has traffic), your web sites statistic will be available at yourdomain.com/stats (add ##/stats## to the end of your web site address).
- Login as “admin” and your password to view the statistic.
- Our web statistic report is based on AwStats and it looks like the picture below.
- Here you can configure backup for your web site. Please note: this backup only contains web-site files, not database, email and anything else.
- After configured backup, wait 1-2 days (after backup runs), you will found a button to download or restore your backups on this page.
Sub-domain for website
- This section allow you to create sub-domain web-site redirects. Most users won’t need to change anything here.
- For example, to redirect hk.example.com to www.example.hk:
- Host: hk
- Domain: domain.com
- Redirect Type: R,L
- Redirect path: www.domain.hk/
- Active: ON
Alias-domain for website
- This is basically the same as Sub-domain for website, but this let you alias different top-level domains, such as domain.com and domain.hk, together.
- For example, you have both example.com and example.hk domains, and you want to redirect example.hk visitors to example.com:
- Aliasdomain: example.hk
- Parent Website: example.com
- Redirect Type: R,L
- Redirect Path: /
- Auto-Subdomain: www.
- SEO Redirect: empty
- Active: checked
- Here you can create or manage your MySQL database for your web site. Before you can create database, you should create a database user first (see below).
- Site : Select the web sites which will access to the database.
- Type : Always MySQL
- Database name : Input your desired database name, note that, your database name will always prefixed by your client ID.
- Database user : Choose the database user. (You must create a database user first)
- Read-only user : Choose a read-only database user. This is useful if you want to use mysqldump to schedule remote database backup.
- Database charset: In most cases, you should choose UTF-8.
- Remote Access : Check to allow remote access to the database.
- Remote Access IPs : Input the IP address of the remote access user.
Manage your database
- You may use our phpMyAdmin web application to manage your database.
- Open [[http://www.sxl.net/go]] and click the phpMyAdmin icon.
- For more information, please read
Input your desired user name, note that, your username will always prefixed by your client ID.
- In this section, you can create a FTP user to manage files on your web site.
- Website : Choose the web site for this ftp user.
- Username : Input your desired user name.
(Note that, the username will always be prefixed with your account ID, for example “c78”, so your username becomes c78username).
- Password / Password strength : Input your desired password. You should choose a Very Strong password.
- Harddisk-Quota : You should simply input -1 here. (it means unlimited). Because your FTP disk quota is limited by your web-site quota anyway.
Upload your web site
- You may use our WebFTP web app or use any standard FTP client, such as Filezilla to upload your web files.
- You should upload your web files to the /web directory. Your “home” page must be named index.html or index.php if you use PHP.
- There is a default index.html file under your /web directory. You can simply delete it or replace it with your own home page.
- There are also other directories on your web-site, such as cgi-bin, log, ssl, etc. These directories are required to keep your web site running. DO NOT delete them!
- You may change your own error-documents in /web/error if you know what they are doing, but please make a backup first.
- Your web statistic reports are stored in /web/stats. Normally, you shouldn’t touch them. However, if you want to free-up spaces on your web site, you may delete some old reports.
- This section let you use our web space to share files with other users. We will discuss about it in another article.
- Our web server allow you to run URL Cron Jobs. For information about cron jobs, please read Cron for more information.
- For example, to run the WordPress wp-cron job every 15 minutes, you should do it like the picture above.
- Here you will found traffic and disk usage about your web-site. If you want to see visitors statistics, please refer to the Statistics section under Website.